Level of Knowledge : Expert knowledge.
Objectives . . .
- To gain expert knowledge of the principles of the indirect tax laws and the relevant rules and principles emerging from leading cases.
- To acquire the ability to apply the knowledge of the provisions of laws to various situations in actual practice.
Contents . . .
I. Central Excise Act, 1944 and the related Rules, Central Excise Tariff Act, 1985
- Nature of excise duty, legislative history, coverage; levy and collection of excise duties under the Central Excise Act, 1944; legal effects of Notifications, Tariff Advises, Trade Notices.
- Provisions governing manufacture and removal of excisable goods.
Valuation under the Central Excise Act, 1944, Central Excise Valuation (Determination of Price of Excisable Goods) Rules, 2000.
- Classification of goods under Central Excise Tariff Act, 1985, with reference to Rules of Interpretation.
- Assessment including provisional assessment, self-removal procedure, payment of duty, and rate of duty. Record-based control and production-based control.
- Demands and Refunds
- Registration procedures.
- Procedure relating to storage of excisable goods, time and manner of payment of duty and other matters relating to removal of goods.
- Maintenance of records, registers, and filing of returns.
- Remission of duty on goods used for special industrial purposes.
- Procedure for exports, duty draw back.
- Provisions relating to CENVAT.
- Departmental organisational set-up; adjudication and appellate procedures-Customs, Excise and Gold (Control) Ap-pellate Tribunal, Settlement Commission, Advance Rulings.
- Offences and penalties.
- Exemptions for small scale industries.
II. Customs Act, 1962, and Customs Tariff Act, 1975
- Principles governing levy of customs duty, types of duty including protective duty, safeguard duty, countervailing duty and anti-dumping duty and exemption from customs duties.
- Basic principles of classification of goods and valuation of goods.
- Customs authorities, appointment of customs ports, warehousing stations.
- Provisions governing conveyance, importation and exportation of goods, special provisions regarding baggage, goods imported or exported by post, and stores.
- Detailed procedure in relation to transportation and warehousing.
- Drawback of customs duties paid.
- Prohibition, search and seizure, adjudication, Appellate remedies including Settlement Commission and Advance Rulings, prosecution in court of law and allied miscellaneous matters.
III. Service Tax
- Central Excise Law Manual (2 Vols)
- Taxmann Publications
- Indirect Taxes Law and Practice
- Centax Publications, New Delhi
- Customs Manual
- C. Sitaraman & Co., Pvt. Ltd.
- Indirect Taxes Made Easy
- Orient Law House, New Delhi.
- The Law of Central Excise (Vol I & II)
- V.J. Taraporevala and SN. Parikh
- Wadhwa & Co. Nagpur
- Guide to Central Excise and Modvat Procedures
- Law Publishers Pvt. Ltd. Allahabad
- Commentaries on Customs Act
- Snowwhite Publications Ltd., Mumbai
- Modvat Manual
Other Relevant Books